For 6 months in 2020, schools in the UK closed their doors to most children in order to keep society safe. Mums and dads worked from home and children were home-schooled during national lockdown. Families had to adapt – children adjusted to new routines and parents became educators. Whilst this was no easy thing, it was (and still is!) an incredible opportunity for Montessori families to incorporate fundamental Montessori principles into home life.
In response to Coronavirus, 10 contributing writers with over 200 years of collective experience as trained Montessori educators, parents, and school leaders, put together a resource to support parents and children (from birth to adolescence) through the pandemic. Montessori Parent Coronavirus Survival Guide: Thriving in an era of extended school closures delivers a pathway for families to not only survive, but to thrive in a socially distanced world.
After reading the Montessori Parent Coronavirus Survival Guide parents will know how to:
- Talk to your children about the coronavirus pandemic.
- Balance your needs as an adult with the needs of your children.
- Manage sibling conflicts.
- Meet the needs of children of differing ages with a clear, consistent approach geared to their development and interests.
- Feel confident your expectations of and for your child are developmentally appropriate.
- Establish and maintain new routines without stress.
- Create age- and interest-appropriate spaces in your family home without having to buy a thing!
- Offer a variety of easy-to-implement activities for every age.
- Talk with your child to reduce their resistance and gain their cooperation.
Most importantly, parents will have the tools and inspiration to build and maintain connections with their children during this unprecedented time in their lives. For more information on this book and its authors (and to purchase it) visit Trilliummontessori.org/survival-guide.